Genealogy


Question of the Week: Is family history or genealogy work popular in Korea?

Answer: YES. A big huge YES. Genealogy is so big and important here!! So Koreans traditionally have this book that gets passed down from generation to generation with literally all of their ancestors for the past couple thousand years written in them!! And it's so crazy that you should bring that up because the other day I got to see one for the first time at a part members house!! The wife and kids are members but the husband is not, but he's so into family history!! And I had heard about these books around and I was really wondering about them, so I brought it up with him and he goes to this cupboard that's full of ancient books and pulls out one that's written in Chinese characters (Korean is a generally new languge especially the written part, so to do family history you have to know Chinese but he's a scholar at it!!!) and starts going through it with me, and explaining it and telling me people's names who I can't read because it's in Chinese and ahhh! It was soo cool!! He's literally got records of his ancestors that were alive thousands of years ago just sitting in his house. It was soooo cool!!! Honestly it put FamilySearch to shame. It was so cool! I'm trying to go back sometime so he can explain more to me about it!! It was so cool!

Anyways, this week was pretty awesome as far as miracles go!! These past 5 days have literally felt like we were in the missionary movie The District (all of the recent RM's will know what I'm talking about). God guided and blessed us so much!! One such instance is with a new investigator we picked up!! He is honestly sooo cool!! Anyways so one day before English class, we got a call from a number we didn't have and the person wanted to learn English from us so we gave him the information to our class. He then showed up, and after while we were talking to him found out that he learned English from the missionaries when he was a kid and just randomly remembered (really the Spirit prompted him, I bet) and he looked us up and called! Anyways, we've now met with him everyday since then!! He is so dope!! Honestly I'm going to try and make our friendship last well after my mission in this life and hopefully if all goes well we'll be able to bro hug in the celestial kingdom some day!! Ahldksafj, I love him so much! he's great! There was so much more, so many other people who are miracles, and so many instances of the gift of tounges this week I could go on forever talking about them!! But I don't have time... Ask me sometime else and I'll pull out my journal and talk your ear off for hours about this week!!


Love you all!!
Elder Lott







Comments